Academic Talent Development
Within the Academic Talent Development Program (A.T.D.), we aim to provide students with a variety of exciting, engaging and differentiated programs that will ignite their curiosity, stimulate their desire to explore areas of interest, and challenge them to achieve more than they thought possible. A.B. Paterson College aims to provide many pathways for academically talented students; these pathways need to be appropriately rigorous, delivered at an accelerated pace, and deep and rich in content.
Gifted students are those whose potential is distinctly above average in one or more of the following domains of human ability: intellectual, creative, social and physical. Giftedness designates the possession, and the use of, outstanding natural abilities, called aptitudes, in at least one ability domain, to a degree that places an individual at least among the top 10% of age peers in the school. (Gagné, 2003, 2008)
Talented students are those whose skills are above average in one or more areas of performance. Talent designates the outstanding mastery of abilities over a significant period of time. These are called competencies (knowledge and skills). Outstanding mastery is evident in at least one field of human activity to a degree that places an individual at least among the top 10% of age peers in the school who are, or have been, active in that field. (Gagné, 2003, 2008)
Many of our academically talented students are catered for through a differentiated curriculum and through enrichment opportunities. For those whose needs are not being met through these provisions, however, other options such as subject acceleration, or whole year level acceleration, are considered.
Students can be identified as Academically Talented through a multi-dimensional approach. We use cognitive and standardised testing results, as well as teacher and parent nominations.
The A.T.D. program includes:
- Years 1-4 Extension Mathematics Classes
- Years 1-6 Extension Writing Classes
- Years 1-6 Unbeelievable Spellers Competition
- Years 4-6 Innovators of the Future (IF)
- Years 4-6 CSIRO Crest – Science and Technology Program
- Years 4-10 The Write Stuff Competition
- Years 5 & 6 Advanced Mathematics Classes
- Years 4-6 Maths Masters Competition
- Years 5-11 Future Problem Solving Competition (FPS)
- Years 5-10 da Vinci Decathlon
- Years 7-10 Advanced Classes in Maths/Science/English
- Years 10-12 Philosophy Club
- Years 10-12 State Philosothon
- Years 11-12 Bond University Mooting Competition
- Year 10 Honours Program